Friday, January 13, 2012

A link and a date

My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday, January 25th. We'll go up the day before, as I have a 1:00 appointment in Nuclear Medicine to have dye injected for the sentinel node biopsy.

I'll post more soon about my thoughts and feelings regarding the upcoming surgery. In the meantime, I wanted to give a shout-out to the lovely Veronica Seimet, Owner/CEO of Boobie Wednesday. She and I have been emailing about our diagnoses and choices; her Stage 0 cancer was only on one side, and she chose the lumpectomy/radiation/Tamoxifen route. She has some incredible pictures posted on her blog that chronicle her biopsy, lumpectomy, and radiation through 5 weeks post-radiation treatment. They aren't necessarily for the faint of heart, as Veronica's radiation burns are rather spectacular. However, with stupid-special snowflake skin, this is something that played heavily into my own decision to avoid radiation entirely.

Veronica's before-and-after pictures are here, for those who are interested.

2 comments:

G said...

So glad to have run into you tonight Melissa! Your posts have been invaluable in understanding a glimpse of what you're going through. As always, sending much love!

Jan Conwell said...

I'll be thinking healing thoughts for your quick recovery, Melissa.